Adapted from The Blackberry Farm Coookbook
Active time:15 min
Start to finish:1 1/4 hr
- Olive oil or butter is always tasty on smoky roasted potatoes, but here the rich, subtle tang of crème fraîche is enough to make you greedy. We generally make twice as many potatoes as we think we might need.
- 6 oz. salted dry-roasted macadamia nuts (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 lbs. small red potatoes (1 1/2 inches in diameter; about 50)
- 1 . crème fraîche, well stirred
- 1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- GARNISH chopped spring garlic or rosemary, or other herb, we like herbes de Provence
- freshly ground pepper and fleur de sel sea salt
Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle or prepare a charcoal grill for indirect-heat cooking and open vents on lid and bottom of grill, with charcoal on 1/2 of grill. When coals are hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill rack directly over coals for 1 to 2 seconds), place potatoes on area of grill with no coals underneath and grill, covered, turning once, until potatoes are tender when pierced with tip of a knife, about 1 hour. • Transfer potatoes to a cutting board. Flatten each potato into a 3/4-inch-thick disk by pressing down using side of a large knife or bottom of a drinking glass. (Skins will split but potato should stay intact.) • Drizzle crème fraîche over potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
You can also do them in the oven at 400°F, where we like to add some minced garlic