This is not your typical tomato-laden American-style meat sauce, this is the simple, real meat ragu of northern Italy.
- 1 lb. total of ground beef (ground sirloin is best) and/or pork sausage meat, ground (or 8 oz. pancetta finely chopped)
- 3 c. finely chopped onions
- 1 1/4 c. finely chopped celery
- 2 c. finely chopped carrots
- 5 fl. oz. olive oil
- 3 1/2 lbs. canned chopped tomatoes
- 4 t. tomato paste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/2 c. milk or half-and-half
- 1 pound dried pasta such as pappardelle, cooked al dente’
- Parmigiano-Reggianno cheese, for garnish
Brown meat and onions. Cook vegetables for 12 minutes. Add all seasonings and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Cook pasta per directions. Drain and stir back in 1 T. olive oil and 1 T. boiling water from pasta to the pot. Stir.
Serve with one pound cooked pasta topped with Bolognese and sprinkled with parmesan to top.