This Tyler Florence recipe goes great as a canapes or tapas. We often substitute Herbs de Provence instead of the thyme sprigs, to make it have a French flair.
- 2 lbs Spanish olives, such as manzanilla and/or gordal, with pits
- 1 oranges, unpeeled, sliced into 1/8 inch circles
- 1 cup whole almonds, with skin
- 1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 red chili peppers, halved lengthwise
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Combine the olives and the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for about 2 hours.
Drain the oil out (keep it to use as a bread dip!).
Serve the olive mixture warm or at room temperature.
They go nicely with assorted cheeses!